Burning through your propane supply leaves you with two options: exchange your tank for a new one or go to a refill station.
On the one hand, refilling requires you to visit a local refill station. You give our tank to a licensed propane expert, who does the refill on your behalf.
On the other hand, exchanging your propane tank means you hand over the old container to a specialized provider and receive a full unit.
But the central question still remains: which method is cheaper? This article will provide the answer.
Should You Refill or Exchange Propane to Save Money?
Refilling your propane tank is the better option from a strictly money-saving standpoint. You can save approximately $1.75 per gallon compared to exchanging for a new container.
That said, the price isn’t the only factor you should consider when deciding to take one route or the other. Both refills and exchanges have a few advantages and disadvantages you should take into account.
Advantages of Refills
- • It’s more affordable. As previously discussed, refilling a propane tank is a budget- friendly solution.
- • It gives you more gas. In most cases, the amount of propane you get with a refill is higher than that of exchanged containers.
Disadvantages of Refills
- • It takes time. While professionals don’t take very long to refill a propane tank, the precious minutes spent at your provider may mean a lot when hosting a barbecue celebration.
Advantages of Exchanges
- • It’s safe. There’s no need to worry about tank safety when getting a new one because each unit is inspected for proper sealing and high-quality materials.
- • It’s faster. If you need a fresh tank fast, an exchange is your best bet. Most providers have dozens of tanks in stock at all times to eliminate wait times.
Disadvantages of Exchanges
- • It’s more expensive and gives you less gas. Besides being pricier, new tanks generally have less gas than refilled containers.
- • Traditionally, propane tanks were refilled, but now exchanging an empty for a full tank has become an option.
- • While exchanging is quicker, you may not receive the exact amount of propane you want.
- • Exchanged tanks are always certified, but it’s possible your tank may be refused for refilling.
“Customers can choose one of the following; either they have the option to refill their propane tank or exchange it.”